Micromax Yu Yureka can now be updated with the latest version of custom Lollipop update, thanks to the release of Android 5.1 based CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM from the industrious XDA Developer, varun.chitre15.
The new CM12.1 ROM follows the recent release of Cyanogen OS 12S update (click link to see tutorial) for the flagship handset and it is mandatory to ensure that your smartphone is already running the Cyanogen OS 12S update, before you start flashing the CM12.1 ROM on the handset.
Interested users may browse for the original CyanogenMod source code via github and also find the necessary Yu Yureka kernel source code for CM12 ROM here.
The Android 5.1 CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM can be installed either via TWRP or ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the European variant of Micromax Yu Yureka only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Yu Yureka USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader isunlocked.
Steps to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Micromax Yu Yureka via CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM
Step 1 – Download Android 5.1 CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM for OnePlus One on the computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount the phone’s USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 – Now, copy the downloaded CM12.1 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone’s SD card.
Step 4 – Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 – Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 7 to 8 seconds.
Step 6 – Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 – Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 – Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to ‘advanced’ option and then clickWipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 – Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 – Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone’s SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 – Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back+++++” and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Yu Yureka is now running the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop via CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.